The top ten things to know about Costa Rica
1. Where in the world is Costa Rica? Costa Rica is a tiny country spanning the narrow isthmus between North and South America spanning from the Pacific ocean to the west to the Caribbean Sea (Atlantic) on the east.
2. Costa Rica is NOT an island. It is an isthmus connected to Nicaragua on the north and Panama on the south.
3. It is famous for its rainforests but also has some of the best tropical dry forests and cloud forests in the world.
4. Costa Rica does not have an army.
5. It is the second most popular country for relocating U.S. and Canadian expats (after Mexico which is 40 times bigger).
6. The official currency is the Costa Rican Colón which exchanges at a little more than 500 to the U.S. dollar (which is also widely accepted).
7. There are over 300 beaches.
8. It takes between 3 and 5 hours to fly direct from most U.S. cities.
9. The official language is Spanish.
10. You’ll like it a lot.